How we began
In 1937 Mrs. S.H. Grogan wrote to Lieutenant Colonel the Honourable G.H. Knox, M.L.A. for Upper Yarra requesting the establishment of a school for the growing number of children in the Wantirna South area.
This application was initially rejected, but through fundraising, and the support of Ferntree Gully Shire Council, a site of 2.5 acres on Tyner Road was purchased in 1938 for £120, and the school was subsequently built in early 1940.
Miss Claire Duggan was appointed as the ﬁrst and only teacher with 16 students enrolled at the school. The school, which opened on July 16th, 1940 spent its early days surrounded by orchards and market gardens, a rural farming setting.
To this day the school “house names”, are in honour of the community members that tirelessly worked to get the school up and running for the local children and residents of Wantirna South.
Our School Houses
Named after Miss Clare Duggan, the ﬁrst Head Teacher of Wantirna South Primary School when it opened in 1940.
Named after Lieutenant Colonel the Honourable G.H. Knox, M.L.A. for Upper Yarra who supported the original application for the establishment of the school.
Named after William Tyner who was an original landowner in the area that now includes the school site.
Named after Mary Riddell Wallace, wife of Thomas Grogan and mother of four boys including Riddell Grogan the ﬁrst President of the Wantirna South Primary School Committee.